Who is at higher risk?
Anybody can get the flu.
However, some people are at higher
risk of developing complications
than others, including:1
People with chronic medical conditions may also be at risk of developing complications from the flu.1
- Neurological and neurodevelopmental conditions
- Chronic heart or lung disease
- Long-term aspirin therapy (younger than 19 years of age)
- Extreme obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or more)
- Blood / endocrine / kidney / liver / metabolic disorders
- Weakened immune system due to disease or medication
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). People at High Risk of Developing Serious Flu-Related Complications. Available from: www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm. Last accessed: August 2020.